Saturday, June 22, 2024

DONALD SUTHERLAND


Since the sad passing of Donald Sutherland, there have been a ton of “tributes” on Facebook,

on film boards, on blogs, in the New York Times. All of these list some of Sutherland’s

movies. Clearly those most often mentioned are M.A.S.H. (understandably), INVASION OF

THE BODY SNATCHERS (of course), and THE HUNGER GAMES (gotta keep the kiddies

happy…and it’s a pretty good movie, too.) But not mentioned as much are my three choices.

These are the movies which feature, to my eyes, the best Donald Sutherland performances,

the films which remind us that the guy was truly a fine actor when he had the role.




JOANNA… I think this was the first of Sutherland’s movies I ever saw. I know it was the first

in which I really noticed him. His performance as a dying, gay, English lord was so touching

that I made sure to read the end credits to find out the name of that terrific actor.  The movie

itself was an arty, hippie, fuzzy-imaged thing. It was very much of its time. As a matter of

fact, it was too much of its time even in its time, if you follow.  To be perfectly honest, the

movie is laughably bad.  Sutherland, though, was wonderful.


DON’T LOOK NOW … Sutherland plays grief, confusion, passion, skepticism, hope and, ultimately… nah. No spoilers.  He is paired here with Julie Christie and they are both nigh-perfect. The movie is one of the greatest horror films of all time. And those who know me will recognize that that is a compliment of which I am truly sparing.



ORDINARY PEOPLE … Timothy Hutton won the Oscar for this, Mary Tyler Moore was the

big, everybody’s-talkin’-’bout-her surprise of the movie, but it was Sutherland who broke my

freakin’ heart.

Thanks for the memories, sir, and rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  There are three people in the photo, two women and one man. The camera recorded this image outdoors, on a gray day, in a cemetery. The bla...