Thursday, October 26, 2023

FIFTY YEARS AGO TODAY


Fifty Years Ago Today was October 26, 1973…The United Nations recognized the

independence of Guinea-Bissau…


California's Alcatraz Island and the federal prison building that had been located there, were

both opened by the U.S. Park Service as a tourist attraction.

Born:  Seth MacFarlane, American comedian, TV and film producer, and actor, known for

Family Guy and Ted; in Kent, Connecticut


Top of the Pops back when: MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA by Gladys Knight and

the Pips.

Gladys Knight and The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia


FRANKENSTEIN’S BLOODY TERROR




Or;   LA MARCA DEL HOMBRE LOBO …


I wanted to take another look at FRANKENSTEIN’S BLOODY TERROR. Why would

I--or anyone on Earth--want to do that? Well, it’s that old Fifty Years Ago thing. I first

saw this Paul Naschy mishmash in October of 1973, at a drive-in, and sensibly hadn’t

seen it since.

But… I was surprised and even a bit shocked to find how tough it is to see that

blighted U.S. version of LA MARCA DEL HOMBRE LOBO. I was NOT prepared to

spend the big bucks for a VHS or evidently rare DVD of the thing. 

YouTube did offer a version of the movie. Though the title on the print is the original

Spanish, the movie is listed on YouTube as being under the German title: DIE VAMPIRE

DES DR. DRACULA. Them Germans, huh? And, despite the highly visible Spanish title,

this print did feature a German-language soundtrack and (only) German subtitles. But

better’n nothing, hey? I know a smidge of Deutsches and, with the subs on, I could

pretty much follow the simple storyline. Plus, I had seen it before after all.

I will say that the print looked sensational. I’m pretty ding dong sure that it didn’t look this

good on the big screen at the Clarksville Drive-in. On the other hand, I had nothing to eat

while watching this which could remotely match the terrific Clarksville hot dogs. Boy, I’d

like to have me a couple o’ them right now…

This was, of course, the first horror film from Paul Naschy and probably remains his

most-seen. I can’t remember definitely, but I believe that when I saw this in 1973, I was

well aware that Naschy, numerically at least, was positioning himself as a genuine

latter-day horror star. I also am pretty sure I knew that, American title notwithstanding, this

was no Frankenstein movie. So I was very interested in seeing Naschy at work, and I was

not surprised by the cheaty ending.


----------------------------------------------

Okay, here I make a wild and kind of embarrassing confession. I wanted to relate how

poorly I judged this movie on first viewing, so I just now dipped into my old records to

check what rating I’d given it on my old 1-10 scale. I find that I rated it at only 2, so,

terrible. But, though that’s probably too low, it’s not the embarrassing thing. 

Those old records tell me that I originally saw FRANKENSTEIN’S BLOODY TERROR

in October, 1973, so that’s on the nose. But they also tell me that I saw the movie on

TV. On Cincinnati’s Channel 19, brought to me by cable TV. No Clarksville Drive-in, no

hot dogs.  I have what seems to be a strong, crystal-clear recollection of seeing that

feeble American “explanation” for the movie’s title and that recollection is of viewing it

real big on a drive-in movie screen. The Clarksville’s screen, to be precise. And that’s

just not so. I was astounded to learn this…but not really.

In recent years, I’ve become all too painfully aware how mistaken even the strongest,

clearest memories can be. These days when research proves that an old memory is

true and right, I’m kind of surprised. I’ve come to expect to find that memory lies. But

this memory was so SO clear. It’s kind of scary to think my mind can fool me so totally

like that.

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyway. The movie is definitely better than my old rating would have it. I’d probably rate

it at 5 out of 10 these days. It’s silly, but the genuine European settings are impressive,

the lighting and photography are impressive. The ladies are lovely. We get a genuine,

snarling, biting werewolf and a couple of vampires. The male vampire even wears

Lugosian evening wear, including a cape with a bright red lining. Cool Monster Kid stuff.


Naschy is not much of an actor but he’s certainly the most physically wild and energetic

werewolf ever. Lon Chaney may be the most iconic, Oliver Reed the most intense,

Henry Hull the most…I don’t know…boring? But Senor Molina is, far and away, the

most physically scary. He jumps all over the place, including all over his victims. It's as

if a strong, furious madman attacked you. And he's also a werewolf.


Ahh, I kind of enjoyed re-watching this one, but that painful dent in my memory…that hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  There are three people in the photo, two women and one man. The camera recorded this image outdoors, on a gray day, in a cemetery. The bla...