Tuesday, May 9, 2023

THE NEHRU JACKET

Fashion. You know how that works. It changes constantly. As Oscar Wilde said, “Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.” Sometimes fashion brings lovely things like, oh, miniskirts. Sometimes it brings sack dresses. It’s fashion. Whattya gonna do?

I have never been much interested in fashion and I’ve consciously tried to not follow
the trends. But I have lapsed a time or two. 


In my late teens, back before the Flood, one trend which did appeal to me was the

Nehru jacket, sometimes called the Mao jacket. It was intended for casual dress wear, tended

to fit snugly, and buttoned all the way up to the chin, to a little notch, much like a priest’s

collar. 

Everybody seemed to be wearing them. Why, there was Sammy Davis Jr. in a Nehru

jacket! Even the Beatles, fer cryin’ out loud! And I wanted one. Oh, how I wanted one. 

                                                              Sammy in a Nehru jacket.
                                                 The lads from Liverpool in Nehru jackets.
                                                                   Nehru in a Me jacket.


But…money, you know. That which acquiring the jacket required and that which

I had not. For a long while, I had not. Then, I got a bit ahead in the dollar department (I

assume theft was involved) and decided to fulfill this wish. So I made my way to

Louisville’s Fourth Street where the treasures of fashion were caged and nurtured. 

The store I chose had some Nehru jackets on the rack and I found one which fit

beautifully. It was black and had a raised pattern, a 3D feel to it. To me, it was gorgeous. “Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh.” My memory, that lying biyatch,

thinks it cost $30, a fortune for me at the time, but I did have the money, just, and I did want

the jacket so the transaction was made.  By the way, $30 in 1967 equals a little over $250 in

2023. In other words, it was a fortune.

I took my purchase home, tried it on, showed my mom who thought it looked

‘nice’. And I figured I’d soon find an occasion for actually wearing it. 

Here comes the punchline, the gods getting their big laugh.


That night, that very night as I recall-- I was watching Johnny Carson on

The Tonight Show. One of his guests was Tony Randall, who always had interesting and

funny things to say. That night they started talking about fads and trends, and Tony

Randall said, “Take the Nehru jacket for instance. Last month everybody was wearing

them. Now nobody would be caught dead in one.”


Okay…so…picture a teenager who’d just spent way too much for something,

being almost instantly informed that he was a fool who had just thrown his money

away. I remember sitting there, thinking, over and over…”what?…what?…what?…”

Once recovered from the shock, I decided that, fashionable or not, I would get at

least one good wearing out of my millionaire’s wardrobe. And I did.


A bunch of us in Student Theater were going to see a show at some other high

school in the area. In those days, even kids got dressed up to go to the theater. Even

high school theater. All the girls were in nice dresses, nearly all the boys in suit and tie.

And one large, nervous nerd showed up in a Nehru jacket.

Not just a Nehru jacket, but a Nehru jacket over a bright white turtleneck, with a

huge golden medallion on a chain around his neck. If I’d had matching bellbottoms,

they would have been there too. Oh, I was quite the sight, I’m sure, quite the ‘60s

stereotype. Still didn’t have a date, but I can’t blame the jacket, that was pretty much

the casewhatever I was wearing.

     I got some compliments and also some mild ribbing. Truth be told, I genuinely

liked the look, but whatever my feelings on ‘fashion’, I felt too embarrassed to ever

wear it again. It hung in the closet for a while then it … didn’t.

I can honestly say that, as far as I can remember, I never again bowed to the

pressure of ‘fashion’. 

That was, at least in part, because I so rarely had $30. In any year’s money.


No comments:

Post a Comment

  There are three people in the photo, two women and one man. The camera recorded this image outdoors, on a gray day, in a cemetery. The bla...